- •A third-generation dual-source CT system is capable of producing 450 mAs tube current at 70 kVp tube voltage.
- •We evaluated feasibility, image quality, and radiation dose.
- •High-pitch spiral acquisition was used with filtered back projection and iterative reconstruction algorithms.
- •Mean estimated effective radiation dose was 0.3 mSv.
- •The rate of CT scans with diagnostic image quality was 99.4%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
- 2013 ESC guidelines on the management of stable coronary artery disease: the task force on the management of stable coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 2949-3003
- ESC Guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation: the task force for the management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2011; 32: 2999-3054
- Dual-source computed tomography angiography for diagnosis and assessment of coronary artery disease: systematic review and meta-analysis.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2012; 6: 78-90
- Medical imaging: the radiation issue.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2009; 6: 436-438
- Radiation dose from coronary CT angiography: five years of progress.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2010; 4: 365-374
- Image quality of ultra-low radiation exposure coronary CT angiography with an effective dose <0.1 mSv using high-pitch spiral acquisition and raw data-based iterative reconstruction.Eur Radiol. 2013; 23: 597-606
- Coronary computed tomography angiography with model-based iterative reconstruction using a radiation exposure similar to chest X-ray examination.Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 1131-1136
- Coronary computed tomography angiography with a consistent dose below 1 mSv using prospectively electrocardiogram-triggered high-pitch spiral acquisition.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 340-346
- Radiation and contrast agent doses reductions by using 80-kV tube voltage in coronary computed tomographic angiography: a comparative study.Eur J Radiol. 2014; 83: 309-314
- 64-slice coronary computed tomography angiography using low tube voltage of 80 kV in subjects with normal body mass indices: comparative study using 120 kV.Acta Radiol. 2012; 53: 1099-1106
Bongartz GGS, Jurik AG, Leonardi M, et al. European Guidelines for Multislice Computed Tomography. Funded by Eur Comm. Contract number figm-ct2000-20078-ct-tip. 2004. Accessed June 10, 2014; http://www.msct.eu/PDF_FILES/Part_two_final_document_quality_criteria_CT-TIP.pdf.
- SCCT guidelines for the interpretation and reporting of coronary computed tomographic angiography.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2009; 3: 122-136
- Quantitative parameters of image quality in 64-slice computed tomography angiography of the coronary arteries.Eur J Radiol. 2006; 57: 373-379
- Image quality in a low radiation exposure protocol for retrospectively ECG-gated coronary CT angiography.AJR Am J roentgenology. 2009; 192: 1045-1050
- Comparison of image quality in contrast-enhanced coronary-artery visualization by electron beam tomography and retrospectively electrocardiogram-gated multislice spiral computed tomography.Invest Radiol. 2003; 38: 119-128
- Feasibility of prospectively ECG-triggered high-pitch coronary CT angiography with 30 mL iodinated contrast agent at 70 kVp: initial experience.Eur Radiol. 2014;
- Dual-source CT in step-and-shoot mode: noninvasive coronary angiography with low radiation dose.Radiology. 2008; 249: 71-80
- Low kilovoltage cardiac dual-source CT: attenuation, noise, and radiation dose.Eur Radiol. 2008; 18: 1809-1817
- Image quality and radiation exposure with a low tube voltage protocol for coronary CT angiography results of the PROTECTION II trial.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2010; 3: 1113-1123
- Closing in on the K Edge: coronary CT angiography at 100, 80, and 70 kv—initial comparison of a second- versus a third-generation dual-source CT system.Radiology. 2014; : 140244
- Radiation exposure during cardiac CT: effective doses at multi-detector row CT and electron-beam CT.Radiology. 2003; 226: 145-152
Conflict of interest: Mohamed Marwan, Stephan Achenbach, Michael Lell, and Michael Uder have received speaker's honoraria from Siemens Healthcare. The remaining authors report no conflicts of interest.