Hypo-attenuated leaflet thickening (HALT) may occur following transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), however, it remains unclear if HALT is a predictor of haemodynamic valve deterioration (HVD).
To determine the impact of HALT on the occurrence of HVD.
We prospectively evaluated 186 patients for the presence of HALT at a median of 6 weeks following TAVR (Interquartile-range [IQR] 4–12 weeks). HALT depth and area were measured. HVD encompassed any of the following: mean gradient ≥20 mmHg with an increase in gradient ≥10 mmHg from baseline, Doppler velocity index reduction ≥0.1 or new moderate-to-severe valvular regurgitation. Routine echocardiograms at discharge, one month and annually, were assessed by echo-cardiologists that were blinded to the HALT status.
LT prevalence was 17.7% (33/186). HVD was present in 8.6% (16/186) at a median follow-up of 2 years (IQR 1–3); two required valve re-intervention and five required anticoagulation. HALT was the only independent predictor of HVD on multivariate analysis (OR 33.3, 95%CI 7.4–125). Patients with HALT were more likely to develop HVD, require repeat valve intervention and have higher trans-valvular gradients at up to 3-year follow-up. Patients with HALT had a median cumulative thickness of 2.9 mm (IQR 1.9–4.7) and area of 64.2 mm2 (IQR 40.9–91.6). Thresholds for HALT in predicting HVD were a cumulative depth of 2.4 mm (Specificity 94.1%, Sensitivity 75.0%, AUC = 0.87) and cumulative area of 28 mm2 (Specificity 92.2%, Sensitivity 81.3%, AUC = 0.86).
HALT is an independent predictor of HVD, which exhibits specific depth and area thresholds to predict HVD. CT following TAVR may determine patients at risk of HVD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Full access to the journal is a member benefit for SCCT Members, Login via the SCCT website to access all journal content.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a balloon-expandable valve in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1695-1705
- Bioprosthetic aortic valve leaflet thrombosis detected by multidetector computed tomography is associated with adverse cerebrovascular events: a meta-analysis of observational studies.EuroIntervention. 2018; 13: e1748-e1755
- Subclinical leaflet thrombosis in surgical and transcatheter bioprosthetic aortic valves: an observational study.Lancet. 2017; 389: 2383-2392
- Possible subclinical leaflet thrombosis in bioprosthetic aortic valves.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2015-2024
- Evolut low risk LTIS-sI. Leaflet thickening or immobility following aortic valve replacement: results from the Evolut low risk sub-study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020;
- Subclinical leaflet thrombosis in transcatheter and surgical bioprosthetic valves: PARTNER 3 cardiac computed tomography substudy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 3003-3015
- Transcatheter aortic valve thrombosis: incidence, predisposing factors, and clinical implications.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 68: 2059-2069
- Valve type, size, and deployment location affect hemodynamics in an in vitro valve-in-valve model.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016; 9: 1618-1628
- The fluid mechanics of transcatheter heart valve leaflet thrombosis in the neosinus.Circulation. 2017; 136: 1598-1609
- Valve thrombosis following transcatheter aortic valve replacement: significance of blood stasis on the leaflets.Eur J Cardio Thorac Surg. 2017; 51: 927-935
- Transcatheter aortic valves produce unphysiological flows which may contribute to thromboembolic events: an in-vitro study.J Biomech. 2016; 49: 4080-4089
- Prosthesis geometrical factors in the development of hypo-attenuated leaflet thickening.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 1913-1914
- Systematic CT methodology for the evaluation of subclinical leaflet thrombosis.JACC Cardiovasc Imag. 2017; 10: 461-470
- 2017 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2739-2791
- 2017 AHA/ACC focused update of the 2014 AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American heart association task force on clinical practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017; 70: 252-289
- Aspirin with or without clopidogrel after transcatheter aortic-valve implantation.N Engl J Med. 2020;
- Natural history of subclinical leaflet thrombosis affecting motion in bioprosthetic aortic valves.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2201-2207
- Clinical predictors and sequelae of computed tomography defined leaflet thrombosis following transcatheter aortic valve replacement at medium-term follow-up.Heart Ves. 2021;
- Computed tomography imaging in the context of transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)/Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR): an expert consensus document of the society of cardiovascular computed tomography.JACC Cardiovasc Imag. 2019; 12: 1-24
- Valve Academic Research Consortium 3: updated endpoint definitions for aortic valve clinical research.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 1825-1857
- Standardized definitions of structural deterioration and valve failure in assessing long-term durability of transcatheter and surgical aortic bioprosthetic valves: a consensus statement from the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI) endorsed by the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS).Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 3382-3390
- Assessment of long-term structural deterioration of transcatheter aortic bioprosthetic valves using the new European definition.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2019; 12e007597
- Predictors of haemodynamic structural valve deterioration following transcatheter aortic valve implantation with latest-generation balloon-expandable valves.EuroIntervention. 2020; 15: 1233-1239
- Evolut low risk trial I. Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a self-expanding valve in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1706-1715
- Effect of mechanically expanded vs self-expanding transcatheter aortic valve replacement on mortality and major adverse clinical events in high-risk patients with aortic stenosis: the REPRISE III randomized clinical trial.J Am Med Assoc. 2018; 319: 27-37
- Subclinical leaflet thrombosis in transcatheter aortic valve replacement detected by multidetector computed tomography- A review of current evidence.Circ J. 2018;
- Clinical bioprosthetic heart valve thrombosis after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: incidence, characteristics, and treatment outcomes.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2017; 10: 686-697
- A controlled trial of rivaroxaban after transcatheter aortic-valve replacement.N Engl J Med. 2019; 382: 120-129
- Long-term mortality and early valve dysfunction according to anticoagulation use: the France TAVI registry.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 13-21
- Prosthesis-patient mismatch in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement: from the STS/ACC TVT registry.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 72: 2701-2711
- Impact of aortic annulus size on valve hemodynamics and clinical outcomes after transcatheter and surgical aortic valve replacement: insights from the PARTNER Trial.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2014; 7: 701-711
- Safety and efficacy of valve repositioning during transcatheter aortic valve replacement with the Lotus Valve System.J Cardiol. 2017; 70: 55-61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2016.11.002
- Association between device-related thrombus and the neo-appendage with left-atrial appendage occlusion devices.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 1047-1048https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehaa803
- The role of four-dimensional computed tomography in transcatheter aortic valve replacement prosthesis endocarditis with concurrent leaflet thrombosis: a case report.Eur Heart J Case Rep. 2020; 4: 1-5https://doi.org/10.1093/ehjcr/ytaa252
- Prosthesis geometrical predictors of leaflet thrombosis following transcatheter aortic valve replacement with intra-annular prostheses.Heart, Lung Circul. 2022; (In press)
- Computed tomography imaging for subclinical leaflet thrombosis following surgical and transcatheter aortic valve replacement.Heart, Lung Circul. 2022; (In press)
- Early bioprosthetic valve dysfunction following TAVR: Role of CT imaging in diagnosing acute leaflet thrombosis.Heart, Lung Circul. 2022; (In press)
Published online: November 25, 2021
Accepted: November 24, 2021
Received in revised form: November 10, 2021
Received: October 8, 2021
© 2021 Published by Elsevier Inc. on behalf of Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.