Computed tomography (CT) imaging is the standard of care before transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). The aortic annulus undergoes conformational changes during the heart cycle. Therefore, the image acquisition time point can impact prosthesis sizing and fit. Clinical outcome data are lacking. The aim of this study was to compare systolic and diastolic cardiac CT data acquisition with regard to procedural and clinical outcomes in patients undergoing TAVR for severe aortic stenosis (AS).
Preprocedural high-pitch helical CT datasets were analyzed in 1954 patients undergoing TAVR between 2013 and 2018 at our center. Patients were stratified into two groups according to the acquisition heart phase (979 systolic and 975 diastolic). The study was approved by the local ethics committee.
Median age was 81.6 [interquartile range 77.5–85.8] years and 964 (49.3%) patients were male. No significant difference was found for the Valve Academic Research Consortium-3 (VARC-3) endpoints of technical failure (systolic, 5.1% vs. diastolic, 5.2%, p = 0.94) or device failure (systolic, 13.7% vs. diastolic, 13.5%, p = 0.92). There was no difference in paravalvular regurgitation. All-cause 30-day mortality was comparable (systolic, 3.6% [95% confidence interval, 2.4–4.7%] vs. diastolic, 3.6% [2.4–4.8%], p = 1.00), while 3-year mortality rates were higher in the diastolic group (Society of Thoracic Surgeons score adjusted hazard ratio, 1.25 [1.07–1.46], p < 0.01).
While the 30-day technical and clinical outcomes after TAVR are comparable between systolic and diastolic CT imaging, diastolic imaging was associated with higher long-term mortality. Therefore, the data support the guideline recommendation of systolic imaging.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
Full access to the journal is a member benefit for SCCT Members, Login via the SCCT website to access all journal content.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- 2021 ESC/EACTS Guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2021; 43: 561-623https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehab395
- Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a balloon-expandable valve in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1695-1705
- Transcatheter aortic-valve replacement with a self-expanding valve in low-risk patients.N Engl J Med. 2019; 380: 1706-1715
- Aortic regurgitation index defines severity of peri-prosthetic regurgitation and predicts outcome in patients after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 59: 1134-1141
- Prosthesis oversizing in balloon-expandable transcatheter aortic valve implantation is associated with contained rupture of the aortic root.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2012; 5: 540-548
- Association between implantation depth assessed by computed tomography and new-onset conduction disturbances after transcatheter aortic valve implantation.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2017; 11: 332-337
- SCCT expert consensus document on computed tomography imaging before transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)/transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2012; 6: 366-380
- Detection of coronary artery stenoses by low-dose, prospectively ECG-triggered, high-pitch spiral coronary CT angiography.J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2011; 4: 328-337
- Deformation dynamics and mechanical properties of the aortic annulus by 4-dimensional computed tomography: insights into the functional anatomy of the aortic valve complex and implications for transcatheter aortic valve therapy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 59: 119-127
- Conformational pulsatile changes of the aortic annulus: impact on prosthesis sizing by computed tomography for transcatheter aortic valve replacement.J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. 2012; 5: 984-994
- Dynamism of the aortic annulus: effect of diastolic versus systolic CT annular measurements on device selection in transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR).J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2016; 10: 37-43
- MDCT evaluation of aortic root and aortic valve prior to TAVI. What is the optimal imaging time point in the cardiac cycle?.Eur Radiol. 2015; 25: 1975-1983
- Computed tomography imaging in the context of transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)/Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR): an expert consensus document of the society of cardiovascular computed tomography.J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2019; 12: 1-24
- Valve Academic Research Consortium 3: updated endpoint definitions for aortic valve clinical research.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 1825-1857
- Predictors of cerebrovascular events at mid-term after transcatheter aortic valve implantation - results from EVERY-TAVI registry.Int J Cardiol. 2017; 244: 106-111
- Recommendations on the echocardiographic assessment of aortic valve stenosis: a focused update from the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging and the American Society of Echocardiography.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2017; 18: 254-275
- Assessment of paravalvular regurgitation following TAVR: a proposal of unifying grading scheme.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; 8: 340-360
- ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS: the Task Force for dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS).Eur Heart J. 2018; 39 (2017): 213-260
- 3-dimensional aortic annular assessment by multidetector computed tomography predicts moderate or severe paravalvular regurgitation after transcatheter aortic valve replacement: a multicenter retrospective analysis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 59: 1287-1294
- Oversizing in transcatheter aortic valve replacement, a commonly used term but a poorly understood one: dependency on definition and geometrical measurements.J Cardiovasc Comput Tomogr. 2014; 8: 67-76
- Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2736-2747
- Multidetector computed tomography in transcatheter aortic valve implantation.J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2011; 4: 416-429
- Dynamics of the aortic annulus in 4D CT angiography for transcatheter aortic valve implantation patients.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0184133
- Does the aortic annulus undergo conformational change throughout the cardiac cycle? A systematic review.Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015; 16: 1307-1317
- Annular rupture during transcatheter aortic valve replacement: classification, pathophysiology, diagnostics, treatment approaches, and prevention.JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2015; 8: 1-9
- Computed tomography-based oversizing degrees and incidence of paravalvular regurgitation of a new generation transcatheter heart valve.J Am Coll Cardiol Intv. 2017; 10: 810-820
- Use of intravenous iodinated contrast media in patients with kidney disease: consensus statements from the American College of Radiology and the national kidney foundation.Radiology. 2020; 294: 660-668
- A highly predictive risk model for pacemaker implantation after TAVR.J Am Coll Cardiol Img. 2017; 10: 1139-1147
Published online: May 19, 2022
Accepted: May 14, 2022
Received in revised form: May 3, 2022
Received: November 23, 2021
© 2022 Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.